Sunday, February 27, 2011

Legal Issues In Schools Regarding Students Sexual Orientation

Reflection
I read an interesting article on the GLSEN website entitled, “Dealing With Legal Matters Surrounding Students’ Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity”.  I found the legal issues to actually be quite fascinating.  The article addressed such issues as what educators should do if students/parents object to the formation of a GSA, or if it is legal to have dress codes for male and female students.  I was surprised to find out that these questions are more subjective than I originally thought.  For example, I was surprised to find out that a school actually can enforce separate dress codes if the school can prove that not doing so would interfere with learning, and that whether or not it is considered interference actually has a lot to do with the community the school is in.
 As I was looking for more information about these legal issues I came across an article written by Louis P. Nappen which explains the phenomenon of creating separate high schools for LGBTQ students.  (http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1118&context=wmjowl )  I couldn’t believe that there were such schools, but it turns out that there actually is one in New York City, Harvey Milk High School.  I found some youtube.com videos made by students and alumni (here is one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmexEwHfASg&feature=related .  I’m quite conflicted about whether schools like this one are a good idea.  One the one hand, students choose to attend these schools, and from their testimony in these videos seem to consider a high school like this one to be their salvation.  It protects them from being tortured by intolerant students throughout their highs school experience.  On the other hand, it doesn’t teach tolerance when all students who are considered “different” are shuttled off to a separate school.  I can say from my own experience that I became a more accepting person as a result of having a friend who was gay while I was in high school. 

4 comments:

  1. I had a few gay friends in high school as well. To me, being gay isn't anything weird. But it makes you wonder, if our friends had gone to a LGBTQ school and we never knew them, what would we think of them? Would they scare us? Would we make fun of them for being "different"? Or would we be the same because that's the kind of people we are?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well then! I do not think that I would like there to be school designated for LGBTQ students. That is almost like segregating themselves. I am mildly upset by this kind of environment. Yes, students who cannot seem to feel comfortable will be able to finally be comfortable, but they will never learn what it is like in the real world. Unfortunately, the real world is a scary place of judgmental and cruel people. These people need to learn sometime. It is almost comparable to college being the steppingstone to the real world. It's crazy how there needs to be separation in order for people to feel better about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just realized that I forgot to label this is a "hyperlinks" post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting points you make about Harvey Milk School. I did some interviews there with kids when I was in grad school. Very interesting place!

    ReplyDelete